Uganda Leather and Allied Industries Association
Uganda Leather and Allied Industries Association (ULAIA) is a nonprofit trade association of the leather and associated industries businesses representing the collective interests of the butchers’ associations, hides and skins collectors and exporters/ merchants, tanners, footwear and leather goods manufacturers.
The ULAIA Secretariat is located at
USSIA Building, Room 7, UMA Show Grounds Lugogo, Kampala, Uganda
P.O Box 1307,
ULAIA’s mandate is to coordinate, enhance and improve the leather industries’ business climate by promoting the production and processing of leather, shoes, leather goods and garment, protecting the rights of members, advocacy and assisting businesses to improve.
ULAIA was established by United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO Leather Projects-Uganda and Regional in Kenya) in January 1996 with the support and assistance from the Uganda Manufacturers Association (UMA), Ministry of Agriculture Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) and Ministry of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives (MTIC).
Objectives of ULAIA:
- Promote and foster the interests of the leather industry through the provision of technical advice, investment promotion and market information
- Promote cooperation among its members and establish a good working relationship with other stakeholders in the value chain
- Maintain a close working relationship with the government and other bodies and assist in creating and sustaining an enabling environment for the industry.
- Represent the common interest of its members in negotiations with any institutions and individuals that support the development of the leather industry.
- Participate in the development of policies and standards in the leather sub-sector and assist to enforce them
- Encourage and advocate for research and development in the sub-sector
Focus on environmental issues by assisting in the formulation of realistic policies and standards implementable, with direct involvement and co-operation of the industrial sub-sectors specifically on cleaner production practices.
To be the leading organization in promoting the leather industry, in producing the best quality leather and leather products in Uganda and the region.
Uganda Leather and Allied Industries Association (ULAIA) works to coordinate, advocate, enhance and improve the leather industries business environment in Uganda.
ULAIA Membership Services
- Dialog with government and other bodies
- Member advocacy meeting
- Training and Skills Development
- Tailor-made training for members and other stakeholders
- Coordinating internships for students
- Technical training in production technologies and standards
- Consultancy and Advice
- Advisory services on investment opportunities
- Technical consultancy on technology and environmental aspects
- Capacity building on product development